- Tottenham scored three goals in the second half to beat Ajax on Wednesday and advance to the Champions League final.
- When the match ended, Tottenham’s Toby Alderweireld showed some good sportsmanship and consoled Ajax’s Dusan Tadic.
- Alderweireld earned some praise from the football world for the classy move.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
After Tottenham pulled off a miracle comeback to beat Ajax in Wednesday’s UEFA Champions League semifinal, Hotspur defender Toby Alderweireld showed some good sportsmanship.
In the midst of pure joy from Tottenham and devastation from Ajax, Alderweireld walked over to Ajax winger Dusan Tadic and consoled him.
Alderweireld and Tadic spent time at Southampton together in 2014. Alderweireld joined Tottenham the following July while Tadic didn’t join Ajax until 2018.
Alderweireld received praise from around the soccer world for his gesture.
— VTBL ⚽ (@vtbl) May 8, 2019
— UEFA Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) May 8, 2019
— The Hoarse Whisperer (@HoarseWisperer) May 8, 2019
- Read more:
- Mauricio Pochettino broke down in tears and said ‘thank you football’ after watching Tottenham Hotspur advance to the Champions League final
- Heartbreaking photo captures Ajax players’ devastation after their meltdown to Tottenham
- Steve Nash went berserk and had to hold back tears after Tottenham’s dramatic last-second goal sent the team to the Champions League final