- Toys R Us’ going-out-of-business sales started in at least some stores on Friday.
- Toys R Us has not confirmed whether all 735 of its stores are beginning sales.
- Here’s what you need to know.
Toys R Us clearance sales are starting after some initial hiccups.
On its liquidation information page, the company said it expected sales to start at all stores on Friday. Business Insider called a store in Greenville, South Carolina, where a sales assistant confirmed the store was beginning sales. Customers have confirmed sales at other stores, including one in Greensboro, North Carolina.
Some stores had already started started going-out-of-business sales as part of a January announcement of plans to close 170 Toys R Us and Babies R Us locations, such as one in Yonkers, New York. Any sales at stores not among those locations are tied to the company’s plans to liquidate its US business.
Before heading out, we recommend that you call your local store to confirm that the clearance sale is on.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. Which stores have begun sales?
Toys R Us says on its customer frequently-asked-question page that it expects all 735 of its US stores to begin sales Friday. The retailer has not confirmed this, but several of its stores have indeed begun going-out-of-business sales.
2. How big are the discounts?
Toys R Us has not confirmed how big the discounts will be, though a sales assistant at a store in Greenville, South Carolina, told Business Insider that discounts would start at 10% and increase in the coming weeks.
3. What is the return policy?
All purchases made during store-closing sales are final unless the product has a defect. Customers have only 21 days to return items, however, and must show a receipt.
Toys R Us will accept returns for items bought before going-out-of-business sales, whether in-store or online, until April 21.
4. Can gift cards be used?
Customers have until April 21 to use any gift cards. After that, they will not be accepted. Gift cards cannot be returned for cash.
5. Can you use loyalty rewards?
No, these coupons are no longer in use.
6. How long will the sales go on for?
The sales will last until stores clear their inventory.
More on Toys R Us’ demise:
- Here’s why Toys R Us couldn’t be saved
- Toys R Us owes pregnant women a ton of money – and it’s refusing to pay up
- We visited a Babies R Us store that’s about to shut down – and it was a mess
- Toys R Us reveals closing dates for liquidating stores – and clearance sales will start this week
- Toys R Us gift cards will expire in 30 days
- These companies will be the biggest winners when Toys R Us closes its stores
- We visited one of the last Toys R Us stores to open – here’s what it looked like
- Toys R Us fans are lamenting the death of the store – take a look back at what it was like in its heyday
- Toys R Us is closing stores across America – and analysts say Target is perfectly poised to pick up the pieces
- Chaos ensues as eager customers show up to Toys R Us clearance sales only to find they’ve been postponed with no warning
- A billionaire toy exec started a GoFundMe to bring Toys R Us back from the brink of death – and he’s pledging $200 million