The CEO of Boeing is meeting with President-elect Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago just weeks after a public spat over the cost of the Air Force One project.
Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg is meeting with Trump on Wednesday. Earlier this month, Trump said that the price of two new Air Force one planes was “out of control” and suggested he didn’t want to go ahead with the project at that cost.
Boeing is under a $170 million contract to develop new 747-8s planes that will become the new Air Force One. Boeing has budgeted $3.2 billion to spend over 10 years to build two Air Force One planes as part of that contract.
In early December, Trump tweeted that he would “cancel” the order because “costs are out of control.” A day after he sent the tweet, Trump said on NBC that he still thinks the planes are expensive, but that he spoke with the head of Boeing and thinks they will “work it out.”
“I spoke to a terrific guy yesterday, the head of Boeing, and I think we’re going to work it out, but you know, that’s what I’m here for – I’m going to negotiate prices,” he said.
Business Insider’s Benjamin Zhang reported that the jets are set to enter service in 2024, meaning Trump won’t have the opportunity to fly on the aircraft. The current Air Force One plans will be 34 years old when Boeing releases the new planes.
Naturally, the new Air Force One planes won’t be your traditional Boeing planes. They will come with upgrades including an operating room, missile defense systems, and the ability survive the electromagnetic pulse emitted from a nuclear detonation.
Trump is also expected to meet later with Marillyn Hewson, the head of Lockheed Martin. Lockheed Martin manufactures the F-35 fighter jet, the cost of which Trump has also criticized.
UPDATE: Trump has since met with Muilenburg, who said the price for the planes will be under $4 billion.