Two-month-old baby who died on AirAsia flight had been ‘crying continuously’, fellow passenger says

Four doctors came forward to try and save the infant by giving her cardiopulmonary resuscitation, but they did not manage to save her.

A two-month-old baby has died on board an AirAsia flight from Kuala Lumpur to Perth on Monday (April 22).

In a statement issued on the same day, AirAsia confirmed that there was a medical emergency involving an infant on board flight D7236 from Kuala Lumpur to Perth on Monday morning.

An AirAsia spokesman said: “Upon arrival, the aircraft was met by a team of medical specialists and the relevant authorities, including the West Australian Police.”

AirAsia added that they were unable to give further comments on the medical situation of the infant.

Former nurse on board offered help

Nadia Parenzee, a former nurse who happened to be on board the flight, told The West Australian that the infant – identified only as Farah – was “crying continuously” and “very, very distressed” when she boarded the plane at midnight in Kuala Lumpur.

Parenzee added that she offered help to Farah’s parents, saying that she would be happy to cuddle Farah if they needed.

After Parenzee sat down and fell asleep, an air stewardess tapped her on the shoulder and asked for her help, The West Australian reported.

She then carried the infant, who she noticed was “grey in colour” by then. “She was struggling to breathe, so I said a little prayer,” Paranzee was quoted by ABC news as saying.

“As soon as I said that, she went limp and I just said to the stewardess, ‘this is a medical emergency, this is not a baby in distress,” Parenzee added.

A decision was made at the halfway mark of the flight for the airline to continue to Perth, where Farah would be given immediate medical attention, The West Australian reported.

Parenzee told The West Australian that four doctors came forward to try and save Farah by giving her cardiopulmonary resuscitation for the next two and a half hours, but they did not manage to save her in the end.

“I had known when I looked at the baby’s pupils and they did the light test that the baby had passed,” Parenzee told ABC news.

Just before the plane landed, Parenzee told Farah’s father that Farah had died.

Parenzee told The West Australia: “He lost it. He fell on the floor on his knees, crying. They were just distraught and so, so heartbroken.”

Citing Paranzee, The West Australian said that Farah, who was born in Saudi Arabia, was migrating with her parents to west Australia where her father was doing his PhD.

According to AirAsia, the same plane was scheduled to depart from Perth back to Kuala Lumpur that morning, but was delayed for four hours because of the emergency.

Read also: