- Lionel Messi scored his 600th goal for Barcelona on Wednesday in stunning fashion.
- Messi nailed a free kick from 30 meters out, bending his shot safely around the Liverpool wall and into the top-left corner of the goal.
- The shot put Barcelona up 3-0 on Liverpool in the first leg of the Champions League semifinal, a commanding lead that all but guarantees Barca’s spot in the final.
- You can watch a video of Messi’s epic goal below.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Lionel Messi’s 600th goal for Barcelona was an absolute stunner.
Playing in the first leg of Barca’s Champions League semifinal against Liverpool, Messi netted his first goal of the night to put the team up 2-0 at Camp Nou when a shot by Luis Suárez hit off the crossbar only to settle right at the feet of the captain.
But Messi saved the real fireworks for his second goal of the match.
With Barcelona already up 2-0 on Liverpool, the team was already in a good position to advance to the Champions League final, but in the 82nd minute, Messi all but punched the team’s ticket.
Lined up roughly 30 meters from the net for a free kick, Messi attempted a route to the net that would be impossible for almost any other footballer on the planet. His magnificent shot found the top-left corner of the goal to extend Barca’s lead in jaw-dropping fashion.
Replays of Messi’s goal showed just what an absurd line his shot took to the back of the net.
Barcelona would go on to win 3-0 against Liverpool, meaning that, barring disaster in the second leg of the semifinal, Barca will play in the Champions League final for the first time since 2015.
If Messi has another stunner like the one he hit on Wednesday in him, there’s a good chance they’ll win it.
- Read more from Tyler Lauletta: