- Prince Harry tearfully opened up about what it was like to keep Meghan Markle’s pregnancy a secret in the beginning.
- Speaking at the WellChild Awards on Tuesday, Prince Harry said he remembered “squeezing Meghan’s hand so tight” at last year’s awards, “both of us thinking what it would be like to be parents one day.”
- He said they knew they were expecting during last year’s event, which took place just one month before they announced the news to the world.
- The couple also confirmed that their son, Archie Harrison, is ginger like his father.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Duke of Sussex welled up while talking about parenthood with Meghan Markle at the WellChild Awards on Tuesday.
During his speech, Prince Harry recalled how he and Markle had kept her pregnancy secret during last year’s awards.
“It has been over a decade since I first came to these awards and every year they never fail to surprise and inspire me. Yet this year, it resonates in a different way, because now I’m a father,” he said.
“Last year when my wife and I attended we knew we were expecting our first child – no one else did at the time, but we did – and I remember…”
The duke then paused, seemingly overwhelmed with emotion.
With tears in his eyes, he continued: “… squeezing Meghan’s hand so tight during the awards, both of us thinking what it would be like to be parents one day, and more so, what it would be like to do everything we could to protect and help our child should they be born with immediate challenges or become unwell over time.
“And now, as parents, being here and speaking to all of you pulls at my heart strings in a way I could have never understood until I had a child of my own,” he added.
Watch the clip in full below:
The purpose of the awards is to celebrate “the inspiring qualities of some of the country’s seriously ill young people and the dedication of those who go the extra mile to keep children healthy and happy,” according to Buckingham Palace.
Harry and Markle’s attendance at the awards last year came just one month before Kensington Palace announced the couple were expecting their first child.
At this year’s event, the duke and duchess spoke about their five-month-old son, Archie Harrison, and confirmed to fans that he has ginger hair like his dad.
“Meghan said he has and Harry said he definitely is, you can see it in his eyebrows,” one fan said of the conversation.
“Harry said he’d had no hair for five months, but Meghan told him she had taken him to playgroup and she said there were other children there with the same amount of hair or even less.”