- Big Ten Network
- Illinois Fighting Illini freshman center Kofi Cockburn accidentally knocked a referee unconscious while celebrating an and-one on Wednesday night.
- The 7-foot, 290-pound freshman whipped his right arm over his head and brought down his elbow directly into the back of Lewis Garrison’s head.
- According to CBS Sports’ Matt Norlander, Garrison was helped off the floor and into the back of the arena after spending minutes on all fours. He was cleared before leaving the arena but visited the hospital for a precautionary X-ray.
- The collision overshadowed Cockburn’s impressive 19-point performance in unranked Illinois’ win against the No. 5 Michigan Wolverines.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Injuries are commonplace in the heat of a game, but it’s not every day when you see a referee hit the deck.
Late in the second half of the unranked Illinois Fighting Illini’s eventual victory over the No. 5 Michigan Wolverines on Wednesday night, Illinois center Kofi Cockburn hit a putback floater that further extended his team’s lead. As the referee Lewis Garrison, who was positioned on the baseline behind the basket, whistled Michigan’s Zavier Simpson for the foul, the official lunged forward into Cockburn’s path.
Cockburn, meanwhile, was busy celebrating his and-one. The 7-foot, 290-pound freshman whipped his right arm over his head and brought down his fist. His elbow collided with Garrison’s head and, according to the Associated Press, knocked the referee unconscious.
Illinois’ Kofi Cockburn accidentally elbows Referee Lewis Garrison. Ouch.
— CollegeBB News (@CollegeBBNCAA) December 12, 2019
Garrison immediately clutched his head in his hands and stumbled to the floor, and Cockburn leaped forward to help the official. According to CBS Sports’ Matt Norlander, Garrison was helped off the floor and into the back of the arena after spending minutes on all fours. The Illinois spokesman Derrick Burson said Garrison was cleared by doctors before he left the arena but still visited a nearby hospital for a precautionary X-ray.
The unfortunate collision overshadowed an impressive performance from Cockburn, who poured in a game-high 19 points in addition to notching 10 rebounds and four blocks. You can watch his full highlights from Wednesday night below:
Kofi Cockburn was dominant in the post for @IlliniMBB.
19 points, 10 boards and a win in the ???? for the big man.
— Big Ten Network (@BigTenNetwork) December 12, 2019
- Read more:
- Megan Rapinoe is so much more than the Sportsperson of the Year
- Map shows which College Football Playoff team is getting the most support by state
- The brother of one of the NBA’s top rookies dropped 100 points in a college basketball performance for the ages
- 5 biggest winners and losers in college basketball this week