- ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP/Getty Images
- Southampton forward Shane Long scored the fastest goal in Premier League history on Tuesday.
- Long took advantage of a misplayed ball from Watford, leaping in front of an errant pass to deflect the ball towards the goal with no one back to stop him.
- Long deposited a simple shot past the keeper just 7.69 seconds into the match, giving Southampton the earlier 1-0 lead in EPL history.
- The goal breaks a record set by Tottenham forward Ledley King in 2000 when King scored just 10 seconds into the match.
- To put the goal in perspective, Usain Bolt needed 9.81 seconds to win gold in the 100 meters at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
- You can watch Long’s goal below.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Shane Long only needed SIX SECONDS to score — the fastest goal in Premier League history!! pic.twitter.com/QRKKK1Vgsm
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) April 23, 2019
Read more from Tyler Lauletta: